Sunday, March 13, 2011

What's a vacationer like me doing up at 5:23AM?

Part of it is still adjusting to jet lag -- it's really 9:23PM in Phoenix.  Is it daylight savings time back in the States?  They don't do it here until March 26, when we'll be safely home.

Part of it is still fretting about that danged oversized blue suitcase we lugged along to fit all the crap we (okay, Gene.  I was trying to be nice) didn't want to leave behind.  I still don't know how we'll get it on the AVE train and I envision us having to rush out and buy a new smaller duffel bag and "presto mico" this biggie and still try to make the train to Barcelona. 

Fretting is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Anyway, my "Synergy Spanish" is semi-working here.  I can say enough words to make myself understand to various shop keepers, sales people, waiters, etc.  Why just yesterday in Toledo, I did a perfectly wonderful "Quiero gustar aceite de oliva" because we wanted to purchase some local olive oil -- we've gotten very into olive oil here. 

Unfortunately, I realized later that I said "I want to SPEND olive oil".  Spend/buy, Gustar/Comprar.  what the hell.  I walked out with olive oil. 

Okay, enough babbling.  Perhaps a little more sleep before breakfast, a taxi, and the train.  314 miles to Barcelona.  Just over 3 hours on the train.  La vida es bueno!  (buena?) 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the olive oil! I totally sympathize with you on the over-packing spouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I resemble that remark. Once we tried to get SKIM milk, and when we tried to pour it, out came BUTTERmilk.

    ReplyDelete